Our town is a picturesque fishing outport community located along a rugged coastline, on the largest offshore Island in Newfoundland. Built upon the cod fishery,  strong community, cultural, and traditional values, life here is still tied to the sea.  These values are preserved mostly due to the isolation from the hustle and bustle of the modern world.

Origin of Name: Legend has it that the name of the community comes from the first European settler, possibly a deserter of Captain James Cook in the early 1750s. The community is shaped as an inlet and in those days it was called an 'Arm'. The deserter - Joseph Batt settled here and the locals like him so much that they gave it the name Joe Batt's Arm.

Settlement: Early European settlers were attracted to this northeast corner of Fogo Island in the mid 1700s to fish for inshore cod, and later to participate to in the seal and Labrador fishery.

Population: 1,028 (includes Barr'd Islands and Shoal Bay - 1996), Protestant, Catholic.

Employment: Fishing, service industries and various trades are the main industries in the local economy.

Interesting Facts:

•1685 -  settled by Brown and Etheridge

•1780s (ca), European settlers arrive, mostly West Country English fishermen.

•Early 1800s, Small number of Irish Catholics move to the area.

•1840s, Church of England and Roman Catholic schools are in operation.

•1845, population is 329.

•1849, Anglican church opens.

•1859, Roman Catholic Church opens.

•Oldest Commercial business were owned by merchants who immigrated from France and England called Slade and Cox.

•1800s (late), The firm of Henry Earle and Co. of Fogo become the principle mercantile house to supplying the community.

•1901, Community is known as Queenstown.

•1909, Local fishermen establish a council of William Coaker's Fishermen's Protective Union. A union store is opened shortly after and remains in operation until 1977.

•1954-72, Inter-denominational High School educates Joe Batt's Arm's students.

•1964, A church of the Pentecostal Assemblies is opened.

•1980, The community becomes officially known as Joe Batt's Arm-Barr’d Islands. 


















Queenstown - Joe Batt’s Arm

Copyright© 2016 Joe Batt's Arm. All rights reserved.